Empower students | Be a resource | Transform your community
Did you mentor last year? Click here to complete the returning mentor registration form!
Click here to view a A Message From Governor Haslam
As a partnering organization to Governor Haslam’s Tennessee Promise, tnAchieves guides students across the state through the transition from high school to college. Our mentors play a critical role in the success of students across the state of Tennessee as they serve as a resource, share their own experiences and offer encouragement and support.
Our data confirms that working with a mentor increases the likelihood that a student will pursue a post-secondary experience. In fact, UT’s Center for Business and Economic Research found that students participating with tnAchieves are nearly 21 percent more likely to enter college. We need you!
What will you do as a tnAchieves mentor?
- Complete an application
- Choose a preferred high school
- Complete a one-hour training session
- Attend two one-hour meetings with your students
- Communicate with students every two weeks via email, phone or text as they transition from high school to college
You’ll invest 10-15 hours annually assisting 5-10 high school seniors. In fact, tnAchieves mentors tell us they spend less than ONE hour per month serving as a resource to our scholars. The role is simple but significant, as our mentors help our students reach their potential. tnAchieves designed its mentoring program so even the busiest executive, parent, or young professional can make a meaningful impact. If you do not have experience working in education, do not worry! We will train you to work with our students.
Join tnAchieves as we seek to change lives and transform communities! Fill out our application here: www.tnachieves.org/mentor-application.
To become a tnAchieves mentor, you must...
- Be 21 years or older
- Apply online by November 20, 2015
- Be subject to a background check
- Complete mandatory mentor training by February 15
- Attend mandatory High School Team Meeting in March or April
- Attend mandatory College Team Meeting in September
An effective mentor...
- Makes initial contact with students before High School Team Meeting
- Reaches out to parents/guardians if possible
- Reminds students of all meetings and deadlines
- Attends High School and College Team Meetings
- Encourages students to reach their potential
- Plays an active role in eliminating barriers associated with post-secondary access and success
- Assists students with community service opportunities
- Lessens the post-secondary intimidation factor by sharing personal experience
Mentors will receive more information at mentor training.
Mentor recruitment for the Class of 2016 has begun, and the mentor application will open in June! If you have any questions, please contact Graham Thomas at 615.604.1306 or email@example.com.
I am currently a...
- High School Student
- College Student
- School Counselor
I want to become a(n)...
- tnAchieves Scholar
- Summer Bridge Program Participant